|Location||Borehamwood, United Kingdom|
|Date Posted||February 4, 2020|
|Salary||£35,000 to £50,000 a.e., plus benefits|
Operating internationally, our client specialises in the bespoke manufacture of bench scale laboratory instruments (pre-pilot scale chemical reactors and systems). They provide both automated and manual tools to R&D teams in the pharmaceutical, fine chemical and petrochemical industries, as well as into academia.
They are currently seeking a software development engineer. Reporting to the Product Development Director, you will be working in partnership with other members of the development team on specification, development and updating of the company’s products, focusing primarily (but not entirely) on the necessary software components.
Key Duties: (Software)
- Working with members of the Development Team (and wider company team) in the development of novel instruments and technologies.
- Work within the Agile Software Development Team on the specification and development of necessary software components
- Liaise with engineers and scientists in the generation of specifications
- Use appropriate development systems to generate code for inclusion in high level instrument control applications or as part of embedded control systems
- Work with other engineers on the assembly and integration of prototypes
- Liaise with clients and members of the wider company team in the identification of problems, determining their origins and implementing fixes
- Assume shared ownership of legacy designs, extending, repairing and refactoring as necessary
- To solve issues and challenges arising during the day to day activities and ensuring a smooth, fast and permanent fix.
- To actively contribute to behaviours and mindsets so that the company delivers best in class customer products.
- Provide back up to other departments/ groups as necessary.
- Be a committed, proactive and positive member of the development team, contributing to the overall development and operation of the company.
- Contribute to the development of training courses as required.
- Potentially travelling and working in the UK, Europe, USA, China and other regions as needed to fulfil the job role and achieve the Company’s objectives.
- Other duties as required
Minimum Education/ Experience Requirements:
- A degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline (Computer Science, Engineering or Mathematics).
- Minimum of 2+ years experience in computer programming in a modern RAD based high-level language.
- An understanding of computer hardware and networking
- Experience of working on distributed network applications – specifically using gRPC.
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and the Internet.
- Current European Driving Licence
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Excellent troubleshooting skills Experience of working within an Agile Development Environment
- Experience of using the Delphi and/ or C# Programming Languages
- Experience in using MS SQL or other DBMS
- Cross discipline experience in the other key roles of the development team (e.g. Electronics, Machining skills, modern high-level computer languages)
Skills and Attributes:
- An appreciation of the need for getting things done on time, within tight deadlines and on budget.
- Approachable manner that encourages interaction with others.
- Trustworthy and reliable
- Ability to work effectively both inter-departmentally and internationally.
Hours: A minimum of 35 hours per week. Core hours are from 10:00 until 12:00 and from 14:00 until 16:00 Monday to Friday inclusive, with flexible start/finish time. The Employee is expected to be on the company premises within these hours unless away on company business, ill or on holiday. (1 hour lunch)
- Competitive salary
- Discretionary Annual Bonus
- Company Pension Scheme
- Death in Service Benefit
- Annual Leave Entitlement: 25 days, plus Public Holidays.
- Electronics Engineer posted over 3 years ago.